Imaan Solicitors in Manchester UK
Call our Helpline Now
Monday to Friday 10am - 6pm
0161 710 2602
Included in mobile call minutes
Imaan Solicitors
Settlement In The UK
Home > Start Your Application > Settlement In The UK

Imaan Solicitors can help to apply for permanent settlement in the UK for yourself or a family member.

You may have current legal stay in the UK based on a visa and are now wishing to either renew this or apply for permanent residency. Applying for settlement can be a very important stage of your immigration process if you wish to live in the UK as your permanent place of residence.

Permanent residency is usually granted to people who have lived in the UK for five or more years and is designed to allow people who have established a life in the UK to continue to remain and live in the UK as this being their permanent home. In some cases you will not be eligible to apply for settlement in the UK unless you have lived here for over 10 years. This area of immigration law is complex and does require expert knowledge. Any application submitted without correct or accurate supporting information can be refused and you or your family member can be asked to leave the UK.

For example, if you are in a current relationship with a person with British Citizenship or who is settled in the UK and you are thinking of applying for permanent residence you will need to fulfil some of the following requirements:

  • Initial legal leave to stay in the UK granted for an interim period of time.
  • Relation to a British Citizen or a person who resides and is settled in the UK.
  • Proof of a genuine relationship with this person.
  • Proof of the ability to financially support and contribute to the support of the person applying for settlement.
  • Exceptional circumstances for settlement to be granted if applying for settlement of an adult dependent relative.

Depending on your individual circumstances there can be other requirements that you need to fulfil and so we recommend you speak with a member of our team to ensure you get it right from the start.

Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

Extend / Renew your visa

In most cases, if you have been granted an initial leave to enter the United Kingdom then you will need to apply to extend your current visa for another period of time before you would be eligible to apply for settlement and indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Unless your circumstances have changed drastically you will need to provide most of the documentary evidence that you provided at the time of your initial application. Unlike the term of “renew” this process is not quite as simple and straightforward as you may think. The application in itself will be quite like the initial application submitted for you and documents will need to be provided that prove you still fit under the category applicable to you.

There is a risk that incomplete documents could lead to your route to settlement being altered and you could be changed from being on a 5 year route to a 10 year route to settlement. This will mean more renewals in the future until you reach the stage where you are eligible to apply for settlement which would be after completion of the 10 years of residence in the UK. There is also a risk that your application to renew could be rejected and you could be asked to leave the UK. We highly recommend the importance of using the expert service of Immigration UK and reducing any risk to you or family’s lives being changed.